Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Self-Appraisal


This week to go with our theme for January of self-development and acceptance, we thought we would share the story below;

A little boy went into a drug store, reached for a soda carton and pulled it over to the telephone. He climbed onto the carton so that he could reach the buttons on the phone and proceeded to punch in seven digits (phone numbers).  The store-owner observed and listened to the conversation.

Boy: ‘Lady, Can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?

Woman: (at the other end of the phone line): ‘I already have someone to cut my lawn.’

Boy: ‘Lady, I will cut your lawn for half the price of the person who cuts your lawn now.’



Woman: I’m very satisfied with the person who is presently cutting my lawn.

Boy: (with more perseverance) : ‘Lady, I’ll even sweep your curb and your sidewalk, so on Sunday you will have the prettiest lawn in all of Palm beach , Florida.’

Woman: No, thank you.

With a smile on his face, the little boy replaced the receiver. The store-owner, who was listening to all this, walked over to the boy.

Store Owner: ‘Son… I like your attitude; I like that positive spirit and would like to offer you a job.’

Boy: ‘No thanks.’

Store Owner: But you were really pleading for one.

Boy: No Sir, I was just checking my performance at the Job I already have. I am the one who is working for that lady I was talking to!’

This is called self-appraisal - a difficult thing, to carry out. How many times have you slacked off because no one was watching? How many times have you changed that sign-in time to accommodate what you will like it to reflect? How many of us can proudly beat our chests and say that we give a 100% every time when it comes to what we do or find yourself doing. If you cannot honestly self-appraise yourself, who are you to sit there and ask others to evaluate themselves. If someone was to pitch for your current role, what will your employer say about you?

Most times you don’t get ahead of others, do you blame others for it. We all need to look at ourselves, to find our weaknesses and strength. This way you can work hard on you own weaknesses to improve on it and capitalize on your strength. “Always Work Hard, Honest and with full Dedication. It will always pay up.”

This week, if you haven’t got a good story, write a better story about yourself.


Source: http://lighthouseng.org/evotionals/self-apraisal/

No comments:

Post a Comment