At the end of every year, just before the clock of midnight signalling the first day in a new year, we all come up with resolutions and promises to ourselves and others of things that will be different in the year. Some of these decisions do not make it past the hours at which they are decided and as such never have the chance to even survive. Others make it into days and months and then end up being forgotten. The really determined individuals ensure they see their decisions right through from it conception to its fulfillment.
As I wrote this, I sat and wondered what group I fell into and decided I was a bit of each. There are certain decisions that I never see through to completion when they are made, there are others that guide my life for days and months and there are the ones I hold right through till the end of the year.
So this year I decided I would share my resolutions to see if it makes a difference in how serious I take them. Here goes;
- Get to know God more. I have been a selfish little thing with regards to this. As long as everything is going on fine for me, I have little or no time for the Creator. As soon as things go wrong for a bit, just a tiny little bit, everything in me asks where He has been and why He would let such happen. This year, am going to be thankful for nothing more than the gift of life. If I get nothing more than that gift this year from Him, its good enough. I stand amazed at the things I know not of, that happen everything I lay my head to sleep and yet in the morning, my body still knows that its time to get up and begin the activities of the day.
- Learn to love and forgive. Two very important concepts yet always overlooked by humanity. We live in a world where everything is done with an expectation of getting something back in return. Fellas utter the word love just to get sex out of it. Ladies utter the word love, cos the dude has got all they require to live a comfortable life. Not always the case but we still have the exceptional situations. People give loans or do a good deed nowadays, with an expectation that when they are in need you will also come through for them. As a result we have got a world where certain actions are performed just because of an expected reaction/outcome. This in-turn affects our ability to overlook offences and easily forgive and move on. My resolution is to carry no grudges from a previous month into a new month as well as to ensure that this year I love with no conditions whatsoever attached to how I show it.
- Encourage Peace as much as it depends on me. I take a look at the news nowadays and its quite appalling. Countries turning against countries, people turning against people, religions turning against religion. There is so much unrest in the world at the moment, it makes me wonder what the generation after us will have to contend with. The irony of it all as I see it, is that we are breeding a world full of so much hate, hurt, and violence that I fear the generation after us will have little or no recall of what a loving society, country and world should be. I fear the definition of community or collective group is lost. The funny thing is we all have a part to play. Its your world as much as its mine, your responsibility and mine. I choose to make my world a better, happier place and encourage peace as much as I can this year.
- Offer a listening ear. If we all took time to listen to others, we do not know the amount of difference it will make to the world. Many times we all crave to have just one person seat once in a while and listen to what we have to say. I am choosing to be accessible this year and take the time out to listen to people. As part of my resolution, anyone who wants a listening ear can write to; angelsjuliet@gmail.com
We are a few days into the new year already, just in-case you did not start it on a good note, it not to late to put it back on track. So, live the remaining of this year with a positive can-do attitude, where only you acts as your own limiting factor. Remember, only yourself stands in the way of reaching and achieving what it is that you want. A right frame of mind and attitude goes a long way in contributing to your motivation and determination.
Take time to careful consider the opportunities that come your way this year. Remember to grab and cherish all good experiences, learn from the painful one and grow from the lessons. Smile a lot this year and don't forget to document, take pictures or do both for the memories that fill your year with laughter, joy and happiness.
Please write and keep us updated every step of the way as you journey through this year. We promise to also do the same and write more this year. Happy New Year and cheers to a freaking year full of memories and surprises.
No comments:
Post a Comment